2017 Oakland Supercross Race Results
“The track was tricky and it could jump up and bite you at any moment” ~ Ryan Dungey
Oakland, California – Round 5 of the AMA Monster Energy Supercross was a rutted up track that was ready to claim victims. After more rain in California, the track got soft and presented a challenging track with deep ruts. This should not overshadow the fantastic job that the Dirtwurx crew did with the design and preparation because it was a really cool design.
Still no sign of big brother James Stewart and Ken Roczen is out more than likely for all of 2017 Supercross and Motocross. The rest of the field showed up and even a new ride for former 250 star rider Dean Wilson who is now on-board the Rockstar Husqvarna.
The race was on at 7pm est, which was friendly to the East Coast audience… I know that my son and daughter were glad to be able to watch it live instead of recorded.
450 Race Notes & Story:
- Heat 1 – Cooper Webb and Malcom Stewart, the rookies, would go 1 and 2 for this heat. Ryan Dungey and Eli Tomac did not qualify and was forced to go to a Semi that he would ultimately win and qualify into the main event. Blake Baggett even made a legit pass on Dungey to qualify.
- Heat 2 – Jason Anderson won the heat and Dean Wilson would have to go all the way to the LCQ to qualify.
- Main Event – Ryan Dungey with a bad gate pick got a great start, as did Cooper Webb. Eli Tomac would start out in 8th place with lots of work to do. Ryan had an 8 second lead over Tomac that would have to be chisled away. Cooper rode strong as he does better each and every week aboard his new 450 Yamaha. Eli started to twist the throttle harder than anyone else, doing a triple quad every single lap that allowed him to gain huge ground on Dungey. With just a few laps to go, Tomac would blow by Tomac, catch up to Dungey and ultimately take the lead for a win! That is back-to-back wins for Tomac as he tightens up the gap between him and Dungey in the point standings. Webb would podium for the first time in his 450 class career with a 3rd place. Nice work Webb!
250 Race Notes & Story
- Heat 1 – Aaron Plessinger would take the win and Josh Hill would take 2nd. Shane Mcelrath got taken out by Decotis while he was in for an easy transfer in 3rd with a wicked crash through the whoops. Shane would go to the LCQ and qualify with ease.
- Heat 2 – Martin Davalos would take the win and Austin Forkner would take 5th.
- Main Event – A wild start to the race. Austin Forkner tried to be agressive in the 2nd straight away and messed up his timing in a rythem section which sent him flying into the ground. While laying on the ground another rider rode over his head / helmet right in the goggle area which forced a DNF for Austin, not sure of his status as of this morning. Justin Hill would take a lead and never look back. He dominated the race and other riders showed no contention. Shane would finish a solid 3rd as he rode smart and continues to focus on the end goal.. a 450 championship. Yes, thats right he said his goal was to be like Dungey, not to win the 250 class. Interesting goal.
2017 Oakland California – Round 5 – Supercross Race Results
Monster Energy Supercross Oakland Alameda Coliseum – Oakland, California February 4, 2017
450SX Class Results
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna
- Cole Seely, Sherman Oaks, Calif., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., KTM
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., KTM
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha
- Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM
- Dean Wilson, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna
450SX Class Championship Standings
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 111
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki – 94
- Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM – 86
- Cole Seely, Sherman Oaks, Calif., Honda – 85
- Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., KTM – 70
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna – 65
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha – 64
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha – 62
- Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda – 51
- Dean Wilson, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna – 48
Western Regional 250SX Class Results
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM
- Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
- Phil Nicoletti, Cohocton, N.Y., Suzuki
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Honda
- Justin Starling, Deland, Fla., Husqvarna
- Noah Mcconohy, Spokane, Wash., Yamaha
- Heath Harrison, Silverhill, Ala., Yamaha
Western Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki – 113
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM – 112
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha – 97
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna – 92
- Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda – 73
- Austin Forkner, Richards, Mo., Kawasaki – 68
- Dan Reardon, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 56
- Phil Nicoletti, Cohocton, N.Y., Suzuki – 54
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Honda – 49
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda – 40